Botox has become more and more popular over the past few years. The reasons for Botox is great and the results are astonishing. Dr. Behnam, a top, professional, board certified dermatologist of Dermatology and Hair Restoration, is a Los Angeles Botox specialist. From receiving awards and accolades, to years of hands on experience, Dr. Behnam more than qualifying knowledge of Botox.
What is Botox?
Botox is a brand name for a substance that is injected into your body as a way of preventing wrinkles developments and worsening by inhibiting the movements of muscles. Although the primary use of Botox is the reduction of facial wrinkles appearance, they can also be used in the treatment of other conditions such as lazy eye, excessive sweating, over reactive bladder and neck spasms.
Botox is a word that is derived from the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, which is a poison which occurs naturally and can be found in the intestinal tracks of fish and mammals, in lakes, forests and soil. Hence high levels of this substance are very dangerous as it can paralyze your body and to some extent, it can lead to death. Although Botox is a neurotoxin when used in the correct dose, its use in the medical and cosmetics industries is greatly appreciated.
How Does Botox Work Cosmetically?
As time goes by, the muscle found in between and above the eyebrows tends to contract and tighten repeatedly resulting in wrinkles. The mechanism of Botox in cosmetics is seen to target the muscle activity that results in crow’s feet and frown lines to form. On a normal basis, when we make facial expressions or frown or squint acetylcholine a neurotransmitter is produced. The acetylcholine aid in muscle contraction by binding to its receptors and this signal is transmitted to the nervous system leading to muscle contraction. Wrinkles relaxers such as Dysport and Botox work by blocking the transmission of the signal from the nervous system to the muscles and this is done by binding of Botox or disport to the receptors of acetylcholine.
After the injection of Botox to the muscle, a signal for muscle contraction is still sent by the nervous system and this results in the production of acetylcholine and the activity of the muscle is reduced since the acetylcholine cannot bind to its receptor and also the contraction of muscles that results in frown line is prevented temporarily. The results can be seen between 7-10 days after the Botox injection although this for wrinkles that results from muscle contraction, wrinkles that are present without the contraction of muscles can also be softened.
Before and After Botox
Since you know how Botox cosmetically works, here is a picture of what a face before and after Botox looks like:
What is a Botox Treatment Like?
Botox treatment has become very popular over the year and it is one of the simplest procedures that you could ever expect. Before you decide on doing a Botox treatment it very essential that you seek a doctor that you trust and who has experience in that field. You also have to tell your doctor if you have had any Botox injection in the past 5 months and if you are also taking any allergy or sleeping pill before a Botox injection is administered. If you are taking blood thinners, in order to reduce bruising and bleeding, you will have to stop taking them several days before the Botox treatment.
Before the actual procedure, most people rarely feel any form of discomfort. If your soles and palms are being treated for excessive sweeting, it is recommended that your skin is numbed before you begin the Botox treatment. There are several methods that your doctor can use for numbing such as vibration or ice anesthesia or topical anesthesia to reduce the discomfort.
The actual procedure takes less than ten minutes and you are good to go. You can get your Botox treatment at Los Angeles Botox where the doctor will administer a Botox injection into the target muscle or skin, and this can be done in the doctor’s office. The Botox injection number will depend on the extent of the area which is being treated. Scared of pain? Contrary to the many assumptions many have, the Botox treatment is not that painful. It is just like a vaccination injection and its, not one of those injections that will make you scream, and you can rest assured that the pain disappears within seconds.
No need to worry as you can be able to carry out your daily activities without any fear of the treated area being affected after the Botox treatment. You will also be advised not to rub or massage the treated area for 24 hours in order to avoid the spreading of Botox to other areas. It is also required that you do not lie down 4 hours after the Botox treatment. You should also not use a face product that contains ingredients that are active for a couple of days in the treated area. The doctor will also encourage you to move the treated muscles has this is very good in making the Botox treatment finalize at a faster rate.
The results can be seen within one to three days after the injection of the Botox. After two weeks you not see any crow’s feet’s or any form of wrinkles. To maintain the effect of the Botox you require follow up injections that are regular.
What Areas Can Be Treated With Los Angeles Botox?
There are several areas where the Botox Santa Monica can be used, and it is only the target area that you want to treat that will be affected and any other parts of the face will not be affected by the Botox injection. The below areas are the ones which can be treated with Botox treatment.
- Frown lines– These are lines that lie above and between your eyebrows and as you advance in age you will notice that these lines become more noticeable every time you frown. At Los Angeles Botox, they are known to remove these frown lines from appealing or by preventing them from becoming even more deeper. Men usually have thicker and larger muscles as compared to women hence the require more Botox units.
- Forehead wrinkles- This one thing you can escape from as you grow old as it is a byproduct and the only option is using Botox treatment otherwise you will have no other choice but to embrace your wrinkles. Each and every one of us must grow old and at some point, we may have fears of looking old or the wrinkles may appear prematurely to avoid this you can use Botox to keep the wrinkles or if you already have them you can still get it at the Botox Santa Monica to help you remove them completely.
- Crow’s feet– These are the wrinkles or lines that are known to extend from the side of your eyes and headed towards your temple. At Los Angeles Botox, they will help to soften the wrinkles found in this area by relaxing the muscles that tend to crinkle when you grin. Be rest assured that you will not have a frozen face which many are afraid of and it will take less than 30 minutes and you are done.
- Marionette lines– These are wrinkles that are seen to extend from the side of your mouth to the jawline giving a dissatisfied and angry appearance. Why maintain that angry appearance when you can fix it at Botox Santa Monica and make your face have that bright and smoother appearance?
- Under eye lines– Aging can result in the thinning of the skin and the muscle movement around the eyes repeatedly result in under-eye lines. Softening and relaxing your muscle using Botox treatment is the best-known solution by now and it will give you that look that you have been desiring. The best part is that it only needs a small amount of Botox to reduce wrinkles. Although using Botox treatment will not remove the under-eye line completely as seen in frown and forehead wrinkles, your skin will have this smooth look that it will be difficult to see the wrinkles.
What Are The Types of Botox Treatments Available?
Although all Botox treatment is aimed at enhancing the appearance of your face, there are four different types of Botox treatments. Those types are Botox, Dysport, Xeomin and Myobloc. They all contain the botulinum toxin type A ingredient, except for Myobloc, which contains botulinum type B. What distinguishes them is their formulation, as this will determine its dosage, how quickly the results can be seen and how the product spreads. The following are the main types of Los Angeles Botox treatment.
- Botox – This product contains an accompanying protein and is more expensive and can last longer than Dysport
- Dysport- Contains similar accompanying protein but in smaller quantities and is less expensive and functions quicker than Botox.
- Xeomin- Does not contain any accompanying protein and known to last longer than Botox. Due to its purity, it cannot become resistant easily.
- Myobloc- This is mostly used to persons that have become resistant to Botox and Dysport.
How Long Does Botox Last?
Being one of the most common temporary cosmetic procedures performed to improve your face appearance, Botox treatment results can be seen within 3-5 days after the Botox injection and after two weeks the results can be seen fully. On average, the Botox treatment is seen to last between four and six months although if this will be your first Botox treatment, it may wear off sooner than the average lasting months and this may vary from one patient to another.
Frequently Asked Questions About Botox (Botox FAQ’s)
Q: How safe is the Botox treatment injections
A: Botox injections are very safe especially if done by doctors with experience in this field.
Q: What will happen if I do not go for repeat injections? Will there be a rebound effect?
A: No need to worry has there is no effect and the moment the Botox treatment wear’s off, the muscle returns to its normal state of contraction.
Q: Is Botox injection painful?
A: No, it’s not it’s just a quick pain which you won’t even notice has it only last for seconds.
Q: How many Botox treatments do you need to undergo before you see results?
A: You will be able to see results within your first Botox treatment.
Q: Who is allowed to carry out a Botox treatment procedure?
A: Only a qualified doctor or assistance can carry out this procedure.
Q: is there a point or age where the Botox treatment becomes ineffective?
A: There is no limit to which Botox treatment can be used in the treatment of wrinkles although the body can recognize the Botox as an antigen and produce antibodies that attack it and this may make it ineffective.
Q: Is anesthesia necessary for the Botox procedure to be carried out?
A: Use of anesthesia will highly depend on the patients, though depending on what you are treating using anesthesia is necessary to reduce discomfort.
Q: I am 23 years and am planning on having a Botox treatment, is it too early?
A: No, it is not but be sure that you will get hooked up in using Botox treatment the moment you begin using it.
Q: I have blood pressure; will Botox treatment have an effect in my body?
A: No need to worry has Botox treatment will have no effect in your body in relation to blood pressure if it is well administered.