Requires multiple sessions. Typically there is about 10% improvement per session. Usually 3 to 4 sessions are required and then a laser resurfacing is recommended to optimize the results.
May cause brown or red pigmentation changes, which are temporary. You may require bleaching cream to be used every night. If you get the red pigmentation, it will go away on its own but may require months. This typically happens in darker skin individuals.
Collagen Stimulation: Maximum results are seen about 3 to 4 months after every treatment since it takes time to build collagen inside the skin. So it takes time so please be patient. You will see your best result 3 months after the last treatment.
Post TCA Instructions:
- DO NOT wash the face for 6 hours after application of the TCA
- Tonight, wash with water and resume normal activities tomorrow.
- Starting the next day, apply thin layer of Vaseline (or Aquaphor) on the area several times a day
- Stay out of the sun
- Wear sunscreen
- You can wear makeup to camouflage the scabs
- Don’t pick, rub, scrub, or be aggressive with the scabs. If you pick the scabs early, you will get a scar.
- You can start bleaching cream the next night after the TCA technique
- You can resume tretinoin one week later
How many days do the scabs last for? Anywhere from 7 to 12 days.
Can I use Salicylic acid, Benzoyl peroxide, Panoxyl or any other acids after the treatment? No
Do I need to wear sunscreen? Yes. You need to stay out of the sun and wear a lot of sunscreen
How do I improve results after TCA? Use tretinoin at night after the procedure, start 1 week later.
How many sessions do I need? Typically 3 to 4.
How often do I need to do the TCA procedure? Every 4 to 6 weeks.
How much improvement should I expect per session? About 10% but it may be more. Results vary per pt.
Is it possible that I may not see any improvement? Anything is possible but it is unlikely.
If I combine TCA with subcision, do I see better improvement? Yes.
If I am darker skin, can I do the TCA? Yes. Studies in darker studies have been performed with successful clinical outcomes and minimal side effects. You need to use bleaching cream.
Can I exercise? Not today. Tomorrow you can restart exercise today. Can I go to work today OR Can I get on an airplane today? Yes